Is anyone working on Khmer translation?

F Wolff friedel at translate.org.za
Mon Oct 1 05:28:44 EDT 2007

Op Maandag 2007-10-01 skryf Mark Doliner:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:17:43 +1000, Soputtra San wrote
> > Yes, I did visit that page. I have a few more questions. Do I have
> > to finish all the translation before I could upload the .po file, or
> > I could also submit the partially translated one?
>
> You don't have to finish the translation before you can upload the po,
> however, uploading it frequently causes a little more work for us.  Users only
> get the new translation when there is a new release of Pidgin, so you don't
> gain very much by uploading early.
>
> We generally make an announcement on this mailing list a few days before we
> release a new version.  During those days we hope that translators will update
> their .po file to account for any new strings, and submit the new file to us
> using trac: http://developer.pidgin.im/simpleticket
>
> > Also, how can I test the translation file? I don't know where to put
> > the .po file.
>
> I think you need to convert the .po file to a .mo file, and then install it to
> $PREFIX/share/$LANG/LC_MESSAGES/pidgin.mo.  I don't know how to do that off
> the top of my head, but I think I might look it up.  If I figure it out before
> someone else responds I'll let you know.
>
> -Mark

You can use msgfmt from the gettext package.

msgfmt -cv km.po -o pidgin.mo

Note whether it reports any errors and keep on fixing them until it
doesn't complain anymore.

Then copy pidgin.mo to the directory Mark mentioned which on my system
would be
/usr/share/km/LC_MESSAGES/

If you are working on Windows, things are much harder, but since you are
doing Khmer, I assume you are not using Windows.

When you rerun the program, it should automatically use the translation,
as long as your system is set to Khmer.

Keep well
Friedel