pidgin: 87125652: Add a note for translators, because they...

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 02:33:20 EDT 2008

2008/8/11 Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net>:
> Friedel, I image there is a reason that we're using "%x %X" instead of
> "%c" (which is "the preferred date and time representation for the
> current locale"), but I don't know what it is.

Believe it or not, %c probably produces something that is quite
illogical for the locale in question. For example, %c in the
Chinese locales (all three of them) produces something that is
hardly Chinese in any sense of the word; however, %x %X does
produces something that is almost normal (and it would be truly
normal if they had not inserted spurious leading zeroes in the
parts for day and month).

(Which really shouldn't be surprising, since %c is supposed to
produce something like the output of date(1), which is hardly
English even in the English locales.)

--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that do spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)