Input on XMPP account strings

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Aug 30 11:23:48 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Paul Aurich <paul at darkrain42.org> wrote:
> Hi, I'm changing the XMPP account settings, and Elliott pointed out it
> would be a good idea to solicit feedback on the wording from you all.
>
> Here's what's in v2.7.3:
> [ ] Require SSL/TLS
> [ ] Force old (port 5223) SSL
>
> If you're not familiar with what these do, the first makes it a fatal
> error if the server doesn't support STARTTLS (initially connecting via
> plaintext and then upgrading to encryption).  The second tells libpurple
> to always try to negotiate encryption right after the TCP socket
> connects (servers that provide this use tcp/5223 for it, hence the text).
>
> Here's what's in my current tree:
> Account setting is labeled "Connection security", and is a drop-down
> with these options:
>  * Require encryption
>  * Use TLS (if available)
>  * Use old-style SSL
>
> Here, "Require encryption" is the same as the historical "Require
> SSL/TLS" ("Require TLS" was also proposed).  "Use old-style SSL" is
> equivalent to the second option in v2.7.3 ("Use legacy alternate-port
> SSL" was also proposed).
>
> Thoughts on/Improvements to this text?

Ohhhh it's a drop-down.  Now I understand why you need the "Use TLS
(if available)" option.  That makes sense.

I think it's weird that one option uses "encryption" and another uses
"TLS."  Maybe the middle option could be changed to "Use encryption if
available"?  The parenthesis don't seem necessary to me.

--Mark