pidgin.pot for 2.x.y branch - strings 174 & 175

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri May 23 19:07:44 EDT 2014

Piotr Drąg spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > I'm KNTRO. I'm new to the Pidgin Translators' world; :) I'll be working on
> > the Argentine Spanish locale from now on.
>
> I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the reason for a
> separate locale for Argentinian Spanish? Every other free
> software/open source project I know of has only one Spanish
> translation and one Spanish translation team. I wonder if it is
> necessary for Pidgin to have more.

There are 18 dialects of Spanish on my Debian 7 machine.  es_AR is
among them.  I'm actually rather surprised to learn that Pidgin has no
es_MX.

In general, this is an issue that appears to be of more concern to
dialectic speakers than speakers of the most common variant of the
language (where common may be defined as "in free software" in many
cases, rather than total number of worldwide speakers).  Maintaining N
translations is approximately the same amount of work as N+1
translations, so there's no reason to refuse to add such a
translation.

(Take the example of the Australian translator who replied here; much
 or most Free software is in en_US.  I speak en_US.  When I see
 software using British [mis]spellings, I do *notice* it, but I sure
 don't care.  I can't speak for all en_US speakers, but I think this
 is the overwhelming consensus.  However, *many* en_GB and en_AU users
 have expressed desire to have native translations.  At the end of the
 day, it doesn't cost us anything, so why not?  Pidgin has en_AU, en_CA,
 and en_GB translations.  The en_CA file contains 47 changed strings,
 mostly relating to color/colour-type changes.)

There is some danger when a dialectic translation becomes
unmaintained, where usage of the primary translation in favor of the
rotting dialect would be superior but the software developers don't
know, but this has not proven to be a huge deal in the past.  We have
seen it, however.

Ethan